I find myself sharing this little list with at least one patient per day, so I thought I would post it here as well. Obviously, this is not an exhaustive list of my favorite things – as we all know my affection for rice pudding and guacamole – but I find these six supplements to be universally helpful…
- Omega 3 (with Vitamin D3): This will improve communication between neurons and support the action of your neurotransmitters. Aim for around 1200mg/day. Nordic Naturals is a good brand with cold water sourced fish oils. I like their Ultimate Omega with D3, as the fish oil provides a vehicle for the D3 to enter the cells. Win-Win.
- Probiotics: There are something like 10 times more bacterial cells in our bodies than human cells… One of the many ways that bacteria support us is the production of serotonin in your gut. A good probiotic helps maintain a happy, healthy, and efficient microbiome. It is best to take your probiotic with fiber each day to feed the little critters… Jarrow or Garden of Life make good products.
- B-Complex: I’ve been consuming a plant based diet since the late ’80s, and even I do not get enough B vitamins! These water soluble coenzymes and essential nutrients are important for cellular metabolism, energy, brain and heart health, and so much more! Pure Encapsulations is the brand that I recommend and stock for my patients.
- Turmeric/Curcumin: Great herbal anti-inflammatory for the pains that just come along with having joints! It is also good for digestion, respiratory tract health, liver, depression, skin, allergies, and the list goes on… If you can’t get on board with a daily dish of curry, Garden of Life is a good brand for supplementation.
- Ashwagandha: POWERHOUSE supplement – Better and safer than benzos! A medicinal herb that calms the mind, lowers blood pressure, supports energy, stamina, and a healthy cortisol response. My favorite brand is called Happy Healthy Hippie. Gaia and Pure Encapsulations also make good products.
- PRUNES!! Three to five prunes each day provide an excellent dietary source of calcium – especially for peri/post menopausal women. Bowel regularity is a bonus!
Give these a try and let me know your thoughts… Be well! Dr. Kimbi